Return to St. Ambrose

Complete Your Degree

At St. Ambrose University, we take great pride in helping students of all ages and backgrounds realize their personal and professional goals.

We also understand that sometimes the journey to graduation includes taking a break from classes for a variety of reasons. Ultimately, we want to see you achieve your dreams and earn your degree, which is why we have put together a team of dedicated staff members to help you return to St. Ambrose.

We commit to offering one-on-one evaluations of your academic record and recommendations on how to complete your degree through a program tailored to your needs and goals. This could include a mix of online, hybrid, weekend, evening, or traditional daytime classes.

Follow the steps below to continue your journey toward graduation.

Complete an Online Application to Return to SAU

faculty in classroom

Steps to Return

  1. Give us a call to discuss your degree completion goals. These returning student advisors will help you develop a clear plan to graduate.

    • Undergraduate Students: 563-333-5707
    • Graduate Students: 563-333-6308
  2. Fill out the online application so that your transcripts can be reviewed and you can register for classes. You will need the following information handy: the year you stopped taking classes at SAU and transcripts from any institutions where you took classes since leaving SAU.
  3. Once you are accepted, register for classes with the help of your returning student advisor.

Your advisor will also introduce you to a dedicated financial aid counselor to work with you on financing your education.

Frequently Asked Questions

Some of the most popular questions returning students ask are included below.

As always, give us a call at 563-333-6300 to talk to a counselor for Returning students.

What if my GPA is below 2.0?

Students with a GPA below 2.0 still should complete the online application and it will be evaluated. You may be able to return to classes under provisional guidelines.

What are the requirements to return to SAU?

Former St. Ambrose students who have left the university for at least one semester are required to complete the free, online application and provide transcripts for any other school they have attended since leaving the university.

I have a financial hold on my account. Can I still return?

Let's talk. Over time situations and life change, so it's a good idea to review your situation with an admissions counselor.

If you were an undergraduate student when you left, call 563-333-5707 or email If you were a graduate student, call 563-333-6308 or email

Do I need to enroll in the same program I was in when I left?

No. We understand that life and career goals change, so it's definitely possible to change your major when you return for classes.

We will help develop a degree completion plan that aligns with your current goals.

How do I know what classes I need to graduate?

Every returning student will receive a degree audit, which is a report of what credits and courses you've completed and what you still need to graduate.

Afterward, we'll set up a plan to complete those courses and credit hours, and we may be able to offer credits for life, work, and military experience.

Read more about those possibilities on the Registrar page (scroll down to the Credit by Exam/Prior Learning section).

So, what's next?

Are you ready to take the next step? Click on the visit button below to learn more about our virtual and in-person visit options.